Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Journey Takes a New Turn


Ed received bad news Monday and, again today.

Monday, I went with him to the oncologist for a follow-up visit. His blood work was excellent. Meaning the radiation and chemo he just completed did not wreak havoc with his red blood cells, white blood cells, or platelets.


He had gained 8 pounds since his last visit. His blood pressure was 118/70.

Dr. Splichael gave us the news that the tumor, what had remained after surgery, had survived the radiation and chemo. It was 1-3/4" in size. The center of it was killed, but the outer layers was alive and thriving.

We arranged to have more Temodar (chemo) tablets delivered. He would take an extra strong dose for 5 days, and then be off for the remainder of the month. He would do this for six months. At three months he would have a new MRI done to see what progress was being made.

Dr. Splichael cautiously mentioned if that didn't work, he could try a IV administered chemo, and if that didn't work, he would do whatever he could to make Ed comfortable.

When we got home from that appointment, he, Mama, and myself, all cried. I wasn't sure why. I guess because Dr. 'S' said he may not ever improve on his speech. Or because the tumor was still there. I don't know.

Today, Ed had a follow-up visit with Dr. Walpert, the neurosurgeon who operated on the tumor in the beginning. She really dropped the bomb.

She said his brain cancer tumor is extremely aggressive. She told him that it would be the cause of his death. She told him she could do surgery again, but 99.99% chance was, it would come back and be just as aggressive. She told him it was his choice to continue with the next round of chemo, but more than likely, the outcome would not be any different.

Dr. Walpert told Ed she could not tell him when he will die, that that is God's decision and God's will be done. However, she said she would guess that he has six months to live. She said she will help with finding him Hospice care.

Ed cried.

When he and my sister-in-law got outside to the car, he cried again.

He cried with my mama when he got home after the appointment.

He has cried with everyone who come to visit today.

It is not that it's a shock that the cancer is still there, or that he will die from it. It's just that we thought he might have more time. And too, I think we were expecting a miracle.

Because you cannot imagine why God would let this happen to such a gentle, loving, loved person.

We are not meant to understand everything on this earth or in our lives. God has a plan and we won't always agree with it, understand it, or want to be part of it. But God's will be done.

All I could tell him tonight when I visited, holding him and crying, is 'I'm sorry you have to go through this. But we will go through it with you. We will be with you all the way, till it's gone'.

He asked me not to cry, and I told him I couldn't promise him that.

Please pray for Ed, that God will see fit to keep him comfortable, to make us able to take care of him and help him through this part of his journey, that God will be gentle with him, as he has always been gentle to all those he meets.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. My Heart goes out to you. I feel as if though I know you and you are a friend of mine, even though we will never meet. Many prayers are with you that God will see you through this.

    ReplyDelete