Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Face of Courage

Reflection #1 of an Amazing Man - The Face of Courage

From the beginning of his journey into the unknown, my step-dad, Edward, or Ed, as most of us call him, never had the look of fear on his face. I did see sadness and frustration, and maybe pain, but not fear.

When he cried, it was for his family. He didn't want to hurt us. And I know he felt that him being ill hurt us.

When he came out of  the operating room after having brain surgery, he was physically sick from the anesthesia and pain medications, but he did not seem afraid. When he saw his son cry, he cried, but again, I think more for his son, than for himself. 

After his first round of chemo, with the results of the MRI not good, he was sad and disappointed, but I can't say he was afraid.

After his second round of chemo started, he had a time of hope, as it seemed that the chemo was going to work. But then, after months more of treatment, the tumor begin to grow again. While me and my brother hid our tears and sobs the best we could, he kept a straight face.

Ed had courage that few of us would have, knowing he had a disease that few people have ever over come. From the beginning, he was told this was a fatal disease. He was told most people die within six months to two years of discovery of the disease. But he had the courage to believe he could beat it. It took courage to endure the surgery, to endure the radiation and chemotherapy, the needles, the bad news, and the every day life of a person slowly losing their life. 

I never heard him ask 'why me', or 'what did I do to deserve this?'. 

I am not saying Edward was not ever afraid or never questioned God, but I am saying that IF he was afraid, or if he did question, he had the courage to keep it to himself and not bring what he thought would be more hurt to those he loved. 

I hope if I am ever faced with even half the terrible news he was given that day after the removal of his brain tumor, that I can have a fraction of the courage he possessed. I hope that I can live a life of courage, and encouragement to others, as he did till the day he died.
(Note: the nature photos included in my reflections are taken at Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, Georgia, unless otherwise noted. These two particular plants exhibit courage in their boldness of shape, color, and presentation. May all my photos be a reflection of God's handiwork, and may all my words bring glory to Him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment