Monday, November 5, 2012

50/50





I got a free movie rental code from Redbox today.

While in Walmart I decided to see if there was anything good to rent. I didn't really see anything, but then I saw this movie called 50/50. I got it. I mean, even if it's not good, it's free. So what's the big deal.

I had seen previews for this movie months ago. A guy finds out he has cancer. His dopey friend thinks he can use sympathy to pick up girls for them. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the main character (you know him - he's the kid on 3rd Rock from the Sun) and his side-kick is Seth Rogen. Ok, with that guy you know it's going to be a dopey movie!

Oh God. I didn't know.

I thought it was a comedy. And it is, partly. I mean, it does have some humorous parts to it.

But mostly, it's kind of real.

The shock of hearing those words. Tumor. Cancer. Chemotherapy.

The disbeleif.

The people in your life who say you can count on them. But you can't.

Shaving the head.

The loneliness of chemo for some...hose who don't have someone to be with them during the process.

People who believe it's about them. Not about the person with cancer.

Needles. MRI's. Surgeries.

Ups. Downs.

This movie has brought back a lot of things I try not to think about. Ed has only been gone two and half years. I know as I get older and more time goes by, certain details will get lost in the tangle of my brain. Some things I want to forget, some I don't, some I need to, some I can't. I hate crying over Ed, because I know he wouldn't want me to.

Lucky for me, this mostly, 'cute' movie, was not too depressing. It just made me remember. And lucky for me, this movie had an ending that didn't send me over the emotional edge.

I wish all cancer stories could have an ending like that.

Would I recommend this movie? Yes. Like I said, it's mostly cute. And if you've never seen anyone go through cancer, it probably won't effect you in a sad way. If you have seen someone go through it, it might help you release some pent up feelings. Maybe even a tear. And it will make you laugh a little too. I'll give it a thumbs up!











No comments:

Post a Comment